The first hospital was built in Delta in 1913 on Leon Street. It had a total of 6 beds and was operated by a nurse, Herman Neiwanger. The first community, non profit hospital in Delta was opened in May of 1920. This hospital was owned by the Western Slope Hospital Association at 7th and Grand. This operated until the Delta County Memorial Hospital Association was formed and built a new facility at 1102 Grand Avenue in 1949. The hospital had a total of 28 beds and totaled 1200 square feet. In 1975 the Delta County Memorial Hospital District was formed and a new hospital was constructed at 100 Stafford Lane for the cost of 1.7 million dollars. The hospital was called Delta County Memorial Hospital. It had a total of 30,000 square feet and 32 beds. An addition was completed in 1982, totaling 30,000 square feet. It added space for additional beds, Medical Records, Chapel, Admitting / Business Office and Administration. It brought the hospital up to a total of 60,000 square feet.
In 2002 the hospital began looking at the option of either adding on to the present building or literally replacing the building. After an extensive investigation by an architect and an engineer hired by the Hospital Board of Directors, it was determined that in order to construct a new hospital facility, it would only cost 10% more dollars than to remodel the present building. It also determined it would take one year less in construction to build a new facility, plus building a new facility, the Board understood it could bring additional efficiencies as well as long term physical planning. It was also taken into account that the 1982 hospital addition had some significant structural problems that were causing considerable concern in the operation of the present facility.
In October 2002 the hospital began construction of a new Delta County Memorial Hospital. It was completed in June 2004. This new hospital was constructed just south of the 1975 facility. The building was financed with the sale of tax-exempt revenue bonds. The equipment for the new hospital, which totaled 10 million, was financed with a 5-year equipment loan.
In planning and designing the new hospital, the Board agreed that the hospital should be planned for 100 beds, however, should be constructed for 49 beds. The hospital, through a Master Plan, determined how to add on to the new hospital in the future so as to accommodate 100 beds.
After completing the move into the new hospital in June 2004, the Board and Administration began the process of strategic planning for the next three years. During the planning, construction and move in phase of the new hospital, major changes have occurred in the delivery of health care at Delta County Memorial Hospital. Some of these changes have resulted because of the construction of the new hospital and the planning and implementation of new medical services in the facility. Other changes have happened through the recruitment of additional physician specialists to the community during this period of time. The following new services and expanded services were added to the capabilities of Delta County Memorial Hospital through the construction of the new building: fixed-based MRI scanning, third operating room, Sleep Lab, additional pulmonary testing, additional ultrasound capabilities, digital Radiology capabilities, additional cardiac rehabilitative services, steriotactic breast biopsy services and additional obstetrical capabilities.
In November of 2007 the Hospital completed the remodeling of a part of the old Hospital building that was originally built in 1975. The main focus was to develop a cancer center after recruiting a full time Oncologist who started in September of 2007. A portion of the building was also built out to house educational classrooms and offices. In 2008 a portion of the building was completed to house Rheumatology services.